February 06, 2008

Limerick Tuesday XV - The Results

Not many entries this week, but strong ones. It's about quality not quantity. Unless you're Mitt Romney, who could've uses a little quantity last night.

Anyway...

It was a big win for professors this week. They win not only for having clever limericks, but for creating rhymes that teach me something (as professors are wont to do).

The Dada Drummer wisely played to my weakness for Church-humor:

You know Alan Shepard showed off his golf tactic
And John Young drove the Lunar Rover all spastic
But Buzz Aldren did the most
He brought wine and the Host
‘Cause that Texas astronaut was Roman Catholic!

For those of you who don't know. Buzz Aldrin became the first to partake of communion on a heavenly body other than Earth. Apparently his little "ceremony" was going to be broadcast back to earth but was cancelled because an atheist filed a lawsuit. (if only that guy had seen Woodway Elementary's Christmas Concert) Anyway Dadadrummer, your prize, which is the most expensive ever awarded at Unexposed Granite, is the card on which Buzz had scribbled a few bible verses to read during his partaking of the Lord's Supper.
I am especially moved by the second verse when I think of the setting of this particular Lord's Supper.

The other prize goes to The Spanish Medievalist for dating himself with an ode to The Crusher.
Does anyone remember the Crusher?
Whose nose often ran like a gusher?
He would fly through the air,
With a hell of a flare,
Before landing square on an usher.


After some research I discovered that The Crusher predates any Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Junkyard Dog, or Rowdy Roddy Piper. And he was quite a colorful fellow. As wiki puts it:

His bluster was legendary, as he would threaten to maul opponents in the ring and afterward "have a party, take all the dollies down Wisconsin Avenue and go dancing."

Sweet.

Your prize is this still of Bugs Bunny facing the Crusher in an episode I'd seen, but which you've made more meaningful with your reference. Well played.
Thanks for playing everybody. See you next week, but stick around I have lots of blogging up my sleave for this week. (I may even publish my presidential election opinion.)

1 comment:

The Medievalist said...

Thanks for the prize--I am both a huge Bugs and a huge Crusher fan. I will put a copy on the wall of my office. See you all next week when I write a limerick about the Harding administration and my involvement in Teapot Dome...