September 27, 2007

Myself Again

A funny thing happens.

There are things that we do, that are a part of us. That are who we are. That make us feel like the best us we can be. And we... stop doing them. How ridiculous is that?

For me it's writing. Creatively. I love doing it, I love talking about it. I walk faster when I've been writing. So, why do I forget to do it? Because it's hard and it's not required by the forces that loom largest in my life. Writing is not necessary to get a paycheck or to get along with my wife. And yet, I feel like I'm my truest self (thank you Polonius) when I'm writing.

Luckily, God knows this about me. And every now and then he guides me back to my self. To writing. It's God, I know it is. I smile as I think about Christians shivering to imagine God leading me to write scripts with bad words in them as clearly as He leads me to pray or read Scripture.

Just so you know God's formula for me writing, here it is:


My friend Chris, a screenwriter and my ride to work. We talk scripts. And he just sent me his latest.
+
My friend Graham writing for the fun of it and asking me to read his work
+
My friend
DadaDrummer sharing the musical [title of show] with me.
+
My friend Amber posting the following on her Facebook and drawing my attention to it.


Do not assume that you have to have some prescribed condition to do your best work. Do not wait. Do not wait for enough time or money to accomplish what you think you have in mind. Work with what you have RIGHT NOW. Work with the people around you RIGHT NOW... Do not wait for what you assume is the appropriate stress-free environment in which to generate expression. Do not wait for maturity or insight or wisdom. Do not wait till you are sure that you know what you are doing. Do not wait until you have enough technique. What you do now, what you make of your present circumstances will determine the quality and scope of your future endeavors. And at the same time be patient.

-Anne Bogart

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sum: I sat down and wrote 8 pages of a play I've been thinking about for 6 months.


If you're thinking, that's not God, that's your friends. Then, clearly, you are retarded.

Thanks friends for letting God help you be your true selves and in turn...

Blessings to you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

TITLE OF SHOW = a genius musical that im glad you love....
and 42nd Street is a viable musical and has a lot to say... lets do battle over it... im ready

Edison in a moth-eaten ghillie suit said...

Clearly retarded.