February 02, 2006

Music to Which I'm Listening

I got a number of new CDs for Christmas and I've been overplaying them for a month now.

Michael Buble' It's Time - Really great swing stuff. You'd recognize "Home" from the radio, but the rest of his tracks are much more big band in their sound. The first track is a PLAY IT LOUD kind of song. And there's a fantastic duet with Nelly Furtado, who I've always liked, in which she sounds sophisticated and elegant. I should probably get one of his other CDs. I bet he's got a great live show.

Fiona Apple Extraordinary Machine - Angry and weird and I love it. This is one of those albums that I knew would have to grow on me. When I trust an artist enough, I'll push past my early reactions and I'm usually happy I have. That was the case here. I loved Fiona's first two albums and I pushed passed the awkward tone of the album. And now I love it. Interesting phenomenon, when I like an album immediately, I usually get sick of it quickly, but music I work to love, I love for years.


Jack Johnson In Between Dreams - This is a deceptively simple album. It sounds at first merely like a lazy surfer's Sunday Soundtrack. But there's some depth and some maturity here in Johnsons' third album. The first track lilts, "Love is the answer to most of the questions in my heart, like why are we here, and where are we going and why is it so hard?" It is extremely listenable music and has a wide appeal. It's the kind of music you can put on around anybody and it will improve the overall mood. Be sure to check it out.

No comments: