January 31, 2006

I have PADD Philosophical Attention Deficit Disorder

Somewhere in college, I came to the realization that I knew nothing. It was at first terrifying, and then a bit exhilarating The tenets of my faith, theology and philosophy were put under a harsh new light. They weren't as secure, but they were much more interesting to pursue and test.

Armed with the knowledge that there was at least logical-sounding argumentation against almost every belief I held, I ran from discipline to discipline poking holes in my own inherited convictions. It was easy too. In truth, all I really needed to see was that there was someone wiser and/or more educated than me who held the opposing viewpoint and I was satisfied to become cognitively dissatisfied.

Lately, when it comes to what I believe, I'm finding myself disappointed with my standard "Don't rightly know" response. The corrosion of solid ground has made it tough to move foraward. Even in a wrong direction.

I need to start doing more reading and research so that I can at least come up with "best guesses" to the biggies: predestination, creation/evolution, tribulation, Biblical inspiration, that sort of stuff.

Here's my dilemma. The very prospect of that research is not only daunting, but excruciatingly dull. So, it's a battle royale between my metaphysical frustration and my laziness.

For tonight, the latter takes the "W". (the WIN for those sports illiterates)

No comments: